Director of Business Development – UK
£80,000 - £100,000 per annum + car + benefits
31 Mar 2021
028 92 446382
At Vanden, we are passionate about transforming plastic waste into a valuable commodity. Our mission: “Vanden make recycling part of the supply chain, to optimise the use of plastics. We add value and educate our team and customers as we go.”
Since we started on our journey, back in 2005, we have developed a worldwide presence, serving hundreds of customers in over 20 countries. We have a strong, capable team of colleagues who are dedicated and loyal.
We are headquartered in Hong Kong with operations and representation in Australia, Finland, Ireland, Turkey & UK. We operate a recycling facility based in UK in Whittlesey (PE7 2EX), which opened in March 2017, specialises in the collection of a variety of plastic and polymer processing and manufacturing industrial waste across the UK.
Nature and scope of the role: Our ideal candidate
You must be goal-orientated, not afraid to get your hands dirty, love to close deals and develop teams. Turning challenges into opportunities and quickly solve problems. When things are tough, you take perspective, step back and remain objective to ensure the desired outcome is achieved. Our candidates are eager to stay up to date by reading, attending training and taking ownership of personal development.
Living the Vanden Values is a key part of our culture. Our Values were created by our people in early 2018. We brought all our teams together to determine what it meant to be part of Vanden. Through a combination of telling stories of colleagues in action and establishing the type of environment we want to create, our 6x core values were born!
These are an important part of understanding if Vanden is right for you! Please take a look on the last page for a full description.
To apply, you are required to produce a CV and Personal Statement. These need to be tailored to the job description and person specification and show how you reflect the technical and behavioural requirements.
- The Director of Business Development will be the leader for our commercial function in the UK and one of the key leaders globally. The role exists to drive massive long-term growth to the bottom line.
- Lead our existing business development team and recruit new staff to ensure we have full market coverage. Highly skilled in business development and negotiation yourself, you must be able to identify and close valuable deals.
- Strong commercial experience in buying and / or selling roles as well as proven team leadership is highly desirable.
- Our ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset, drive a high-performance culture (with a focus on teamwork) and use data analytics, coaching and training to constantly improve results.
- Relevant experience within the plastics waste trading environment would be highly beneficial or general experience within the plastics value chain would be of importance.
- Not willing to settle for second best, you will take an analytical approach to mistakes or losses and view them as an opportunity to learn. With no fear of failure, you will appreciate being performance measured and use this information to hone your future strategies and tactics.
- Vanden recognizes the importance of diversity within the team and will use every opportunity to increase diversity within the organization.
Working closely alongside an experienced team, you will take an ‘on-the-job’ approach to learning the role, benefitting from the wealth of experience available from management and direct reports.
- You will thrive in a fast-moving environment that involves communicating with colleagues across the world, respond to dynamic market conditions and react quickly to changing priorities without being flustered.
- The candidate must take the lead to develop our commercial strategy and build a service offering to enable us to reach our long-term goal of becoming the world’s largest recycled plastics commodities company.
- We are looking for a leader who is driven, disciplined, has proven commercial success and shares our Values.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Business Development & Delivery:
- Increase monthly volume offered and won by growing supply base and enhancing cooperation with existing sources. Supply is as competitively fought for as custom and is to be built without sacrificing margins.
- Identify opportunities to secure trades on long term contracts and execute with existing and new clients
- Improve deal win success rate by analysing lost deals and team activities. Develop and deliver strategies and training that result in permanent improvement without negatively impacting margin.
- Identify all potential suppliers in the market, systematically work through all prospects to establish relationships that result in profitable, long term business
- Develop new sources of supply outside of the waste management industry and recruit to maximise potential within the most valuable sectors
- Conduct regular team meetings and performance reviews for skills development
- Perform site visits yourself or with team to inspect quality, build relationships and close deals
- Employ a range of business development and marketing strategies to promote the business such as: prospecting, cold calling, networking, attending conferences, trade fairs, social media, advertising, client training and more
- Actively engage with Vanden teams to develop skills and share knowledge
- Engage in constant and active risk management, to ensure we anticipate and proactively manage downside risks and the company has multiple options for each material stream
Reporting & Management:
- Create comprehensive performance reports for each team member covering financial performance, data analysis, CRM engagement and development needs.
- Keep detailed logs in CRM of all activities, (including about operations and product) and ensure team is highly engaged in the same
- Provide feedback & market reports to management and the Business Development team
- Consult with senior management to share business trends with a view to extend market penetration and services
- Develop and enhance supplier and customer relationships by offering excellent customer service that is responsive and tailored to their needs
- Work with colleagues to balance supplier and customer needs and company policies in regard to finance, logistics and service
- Use data and market research to identify trends, opportunities or market gaps
- Develop a thorough understanding of Vanden’s people and capabilities
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of our client businesses e.g., their customers, supply chain, production process and finished products
- Use knowledge of competitors and market to identify and develop Vanden’s unique selling propositions
- Develop a thorough understanding of the nature of the business e.g., by working on the factory floor from time to time (must be willing to get hands dirty) and in back office
Policies & Procedures:
- Develop and improve existing standard operating procedures and training handbooks for business development team to mitigate risk and ensure seamless workflow
- Work with global colleagues to improve process and information flows to enhance decision making. Create efficiencies and improve visibility and quality of information.
Recruitment & Team Development:
- Build a world class commercial team to exceed growth targets
- Contribute to and/or develop targeted training programs
- Assist in recruitment of key staff in related departments when required
- Recruit according to company standard practices and actively contribute to improving them
(all criteria are essential unless otherwise indicated)
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- 10+ years’ proven successful commercial leadership experience and a minimum of 2 years’ as a regional or global commercial director, ideally leading a sales and/or trading team within a manufacturing or commodity supply chain
- Experience of driving business growth to achieve financial targets within a specified timeframe
- Experience of recruiting and building commercial teams
- Experience of building a regional or global client base from scratch
- Experience of managing and developing people e.g., undertaking performance management, appraisals and training
- Knowledge of finances e.g., understands P&L
- Multilingual preferred, but not required
- Able to use CRM, Excel, Outlook, Word
- Able to undertake effective research from multiple sources (not only Google)
- Create client proposals from scratch
- Able to present and clearly communicate information
- Able to stand back and review data/information in order to see the ‘big picture’
- Ability to manage and respond quickly to changing/competing priorities
- Highly organized, able to work independently
- Able to build rapport quickly with colleagues and customers
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Able to anticipate opportunities and risks
- Able to listen to others and take on different views
- Able to collect, interpret and present data
- Willing to take ownership of the role and drive success
- Professional and ethical in their approach
- A ‘can do’ attitude, mindful of supplier and customer needs (also knows when to say “No”)
- Able to motivate self and team
- Committed to on-going personal and professional development
- Willing to make hard decisions and have difficult conversations
- Self-aware and reflective on successes and failures (can tell Fact from Story)
- Strong Character – quickly able to overcome disappointment and failure
- Puts the team before themselves