banner small

WRG signs deal with Lincs to develop 145m EfW

WRG signs deal with Lincs to develop 145m EfW

Waste Recycling Group has signed a deal with Lincolnshire county council to design, build and operate a 145 million energy-from-waste incinerator that will treat the countys residual household waste.

The contract was finalised last week (March 4) and the Northampton-based waste company now expects to begin building work on the facility on land at North Hykeham next month, with the aim of having the plant up and running by autumn 2013.

An artists impression of the North Hykeham energy-from-waste incinerator, which is expected to be up and running by autumn 2013
An artists impression of the North Hykeham energy-from-waste incinerator, which is expected to be up and running by autumn 2013

The facility will be used to treat up to 150,000 tonnes of residual waste, delivered under the long-term contract by the Lincolnshire Waste Partnership (LWP), which is made up of the county council and the countys seven district, borough and city councils as well as the Environment Agency.

Waste Recycling Group (WRG), which is owned by Spanish firm FCC, beat a consortium between Shanks Group and US EfW specialists Wheelabrator Technologies to be named preferred bidder for the residual waste treatment deal in October 2010 (see letsrecycle.com story).

The significance of the deal for the company was highlighted by WRG chief executive Paul Taylor, who said: This is an important milestone for FCC in the UK as it underscores the Groups enthusiasm to build further on the vital services it provides for people through sustainable waste, resource and energy management.

Now we are looking forward to getting to work with the county council to deliver an energy from waste facility that the people of Lincolnshire deserve and will be proud of.

Councillor Lewis Strange, chairman of the LWP, hailed the contract as representing a new beginning for the disposal of Lincolnshires residual household waste and highlighted the energy aspect of the contract, with the plant set to generate 11 megawatts of electricity for export to the National Grid.

The facility will produce enough electricity to power over 10,000 homes and businesses, he said. The Authority will also now look to further exploit the potential of the facility to develop a district heating scheme to heat thousands of local homes and businesses.

The contract covers the construction period, which is scheduled to be completed on December 23 2013, after which WRG will operate the facility for 25 years with the possibility of the contract period being extended by a further five years.

Sub-contractors

With planning permission for the project having been secured in July 2009, Fridays announcement also saw confirmation of the sub-contractors who have formed a joint venture to develop the plant.

These are French-owned technology company CNIM Group and Scunthorpe-based engineering and building firm Clugston Construction.

Stefano Costa, member of the CNIM Management Board and managing director of the Environment Sector, said: We are proud of the confidence our client WRG and the final client the Lincolnshire County Council have shown in our technology and in the CNIM-Clugston construction capability.

This contract consolidates the strong commitment of the CNIM group in the approach of a sustainable development of the environment.

His sentiments were echoed by Clugstons managing director, Steve Radcliffe, who highlighted his companys strong track record in the waste and energy sectors and described the contract as a milestone in its involvement in sustainability projects.

Register for free to comment

Subscribe to receive our newsletters and to leave comments.

The Blog Box

Back to top

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest waste and recycling news straight to your inbox.

Subscribe