banner small

Lincs confirms WRG for landmark EfW deal

Lincs confirms WRG for landmark EfW deal

Lincolnshire county council has today (October 26) officially confirmed Waste Recycling Group as the preferred bidder to develop its 150,000 tonnes-a-year capacity energy-from-waste plant at North Hykeham.

Lincolnshire county council has confirmed WRG as preferred bidder for its EfW deal
Lincolnshire county council has confirmed WRG as preferred bidder for its EfW deal
The Northampton-based waste firm, known as WRG, had been expected to win the contract ahead of a consortium of Shanks Group and American energy-from-waste specialist Wheelabrator Technologies (see letsrecycle.com story). Under the deal, WRG will design, build and operate the plant, which is expected to cost in the region of £145 million to develop.

The facility – on the 3.1 hectares of land at North Hykeham – could then be up and running as early as May 2013 and is expected to generate 11MW of renewable energy. It will also include a visitor's centre and will create 33 jobs, as well as large number of jobs also created during the construction period.

Commenting on the preferred bidder status, Richard Belfield, project director at Lincolnshire county council, said: “Lincolnshire is already a national leader when it comes to dealing with our waste, being amongst the country's best performers.

“Today's landmark announcement means we will soon benefit from a first-class, low-cost facility to treat our non-recyclable waste more effectively whilst generating much-needed electricity. Our congratulations go to WRG who presented the most economically advantageous offer to the authority in a very competitive field.”

Councillor Lewis Strange, executive member for waste services at Lincolnshire county council, added: “After four years of hard work I am delighted to announce we have appointed WRG to design, build and operate Lincolnshire's purpose-built energy-from-waste facility in North Hykeham.

“This plant will dispose of 150,000 tonnes of our non-recyclable municipal rubbish and provide electricity into the national grid for up to 15,000 homes.”

Cllr Strange explained that the facility included the “exciting potential” to provide heating for new local homes and businesses and “much-needed” employment opportunities once it becomes operational in 2013.

“Even without the benefits of the energy from the waste, the financial benefits to the authority amounts to tens of millions of pounds over the life of the project in avoidance of spiralling landfill taxation,” he said.

Project

A total of 10 bidders expressed an interest in developing the energy from waste plant for Lincolnshire. The project is being managed by the Lincolnshire Waste Partnership on behalf of seven local authorities. WRG said it was delighted to be announced as the preferred bidder.

John Plant, director of projects at WRG, said: “WRG and our parent company FCC are very pleased that, after a long and rigorous selection process, the county council has chosen our bid as the most robust energy-from-waste solution to divert non-recyclable or compostable waste away from landfill.

“We are fully committed to working with the people of Lincolnshire to ensure that the energy-from-waste plant will be a valuable community asset and educational facility. We will continue to work with the community liaison group to provide representatives of the community with the opportunity to scrutinise both the construction phase of the plant and, later, its day-to-day operations.”

Register for free to comment

Subscribe to receive our newsletters and to leave comments.

The Blog Box

Back to top

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest waste and recycling news straight to your inbox.

Subscribe