The fire service said that 15 fire engines and approximately 100 firefighters are responding to the fire on Landmann Way. The exact facility has not been confirmed.
A facility on the same street caught alight in June this year. While the street and site appear to be the same, it is yet to be confirmed whether it is the same facility.
The site is listed as being home to operators SSSI Ltd, Quantum Waste, Hinkcroft Transport Ltd (HTL) and CD Waste.
In a statement shared online, the LFB said: “This will be a protracted incident, with firefighting operations expected to be taking place through the night.”
Major fire in SE London. Recycling centre again #fire #bermondsey #selondon #londonfire #surreyquays #selondon pic.twitter.com/oXoZn1Fvhn
— Nikki909 (@Nikki90099) August 18, 2026
The fire service added that it first received reports of the incident at 19:59 and mobilised crews from East Greenwich, Old Kent Road, Deptford and surrounding fire stations.
The fire involves around 50 tonnes of household waste stored at a waste facility. The cause of the fire is not yet known.
It is understood that rail services have been impacted while the fire is being brought under control.
Local residents have been advised by the fire service to keep doors and windows closed where possible due to the amount of smoke being produced by the fire.
Fifteen fire engines and around 100 firefighters are responding to a fire at a waste facility in Deptford.
Local residents should keep doors and windows closed where possible due to the amount of smoke being produced by the fire https://t.co/KioqAw9r1P https://t.co/gqnYEkShKh
— London Fire Brigade (@LondonFire) August 18, 2026
June fire on Landmann Way
The first fire at a Landmann Way waste facility took place on 8 June 2026 and caused chaos across the capital as trains were cancelled for multiple hours.
The previous fire was reported by the LFB as “under control” at 11:37pm on the same day and was fully extinguished following an overnight operation.
The LFB deployed two 32-metre turntable ladders, a hose layer unit and a drone team.
The cause of the fire has not been disclosed and it is believed to have taken place at the facility operated by SSSI Ltd.
Station Commander Wayne Bloomfield, who attended the scene, said: “Firefighters have worked hard overnight and have now fully extinguished this fire.
“At its height, the fire involved a large amount of refuse and the roof of a warehouse unit.
“Due to the significant amount of smoke in the area, local residents were advised to keep their windows and doors closed.
“Loose embers were also reported, which is normal during large fires. Residents were advised to pour water onto them if they were concerned about loose embers on or near their properties, but if they did catch something alight, to call 999 immediately.”
Crews were deployed from Deptford, Old Kent Road, Greenwich and surrounding fire stations.
One man was treated on the scene by the London Ambulance Service, but no other injuries have been reported.
A van and a car were destroyed by the fire, alongside severe damage to the roof of a warehouse unit.
Several train services departing from London Bridge station were cancelled during peak hours, resulting in travel chaos for many.
Despite some press reports, the fire is not thought to have occured at the Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC) operated by Lewisham Council – which is further south on the street.
Increase in waste fires
The news comes as the industry has seen waste fires spike even more than usual in recent weeks due to the recurrent heatwaves.
On Tuesday last week, firefighters tackled a blaze involving around 200 tonnes of waste at a Biffa waste transfer station in St Neots, Cambridgeshire.
Biffa said all employees at the waste transfer station were “quickly and safely evacuated” following the fire, with no injuries reported.
Aside from the Biffa fire, last week halso saw fires at sites in Milton Keynes, Corby, Glasgow, Essex and Dagenham in London. This is likely just a small number of the actual waste fires that occurred.
Last year, the Environmental Services Association (ESA) issued a stark warning that battery fires have reached “epidemic levels”.
In a policy briefing, the ESA called for urgent reform to mandate universal kerbside collections for waste batteries and small electricals.
Material Focus reported that more than 1,200 battery-related fires broke out in refuse vehicles and waste facilities during 2023/24 – a 71% increase on the previous year.
It is estimated that these incidents now cost the UK over £1 billion annually, threatening not only vital infrastructure but also the lives of frontline workers tasked with managing the nation’s waste.
Interested in learning more about MRFs, vapes and waste fires?
- The letsrecycle.com Fire and Health & Safety Conference will be held in London on 21 October 2026. Find out more and buy tickets here.
- The letsrecycle.com MRF & Markets Conference will be held in Solihull on 5 November 2026. Find out more and buy tickets here.
Register for free to comment