22 March 2019 by Joshua Doherty

Rookery Pit ERF reaches financial close

Veolia is to supply the feedstock for a major waste facility in Bedfordshire – the Rookery Pit Energy Recovery Facility – which achieved financial close today (22 March).

Veolia owns a 20% stake in the 545,000 tonnes-per-year capacity facility, while the remaining 80% is split equally between Covanta and the Green Investment Group (GIG). The plant will feature moving grate combustion technology, with building works expected to begin shortly.

An artist’s impression of the 540,000 tonne facility

The Rookery Pit facility was granted an environmental permit in January 2018, almost eight years after an initial application was filed. It is now expected the facility will be operational in 2022.

Commenting on today’s development, Stephen Jones, Covanta’s chief executive and president, said: “We are pleased to have reached this key milestone on the Rookery project, which is a major component of our UK development plan and the second of four initial projects to move forward with GIG.

“The Rookery project brings into full view the capabilities of our partnership with GIG and our commitment to the UK market, and we look forward to investing in the local community and serving the region with much-needed sustainable waste treatment. Rookery also marks the first project in the UK where we will assume an operating role and we are thrilled to contribute this core expertise to the project.”

Waste supply

The statement explained that Veolia will supply the majority of waste under a “long-term contract”, with the rest sourced through other commercial, industrial and municipal counterparties.

Construction of the facility will be led by Hitachi Zosen Inova under a turnkey engineering, procurement and construction contract.

“We are happy to have been able to share our expertise in technical design and construction, as well as waste supply and energy markets optimization, which have been integral to its success to date.”


Gavin Graveson
Veolia

It is expected that more than 300 jobs will be created during the construction period providing related benefits to the local economy.

‘Excited’

Gavin Graveson, executive vice-president for Veolia UK & Ireland, added that the company is ‘excited’ to play its part in the project.

“We are happy to have been able to share our expertise in technical design and construction, as well as waste supply and energy markets optimization, which have been integral to its success to date,” he said.

Mr Graveson added: “Rookery will provide much needed residual waste recovery capacity, the majority of which Veolia will be supplying from its local authority and commercial customers, to create energy for the grid from non-recyclable waste to reduce the need for landfill.”

0COMMENTS

To post your comment, please login or signup.

Login Sign up