Waste and Recycling Project Manager
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils
135 Milton Park, (Didcot)
£55,307 to £60,428 per year
12 Mar 2021
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are waste collection authorities and operate a shared waste service which is recognised as one of the country’s highest performing waste services.
The current waste and recycling contract, which is held by Biffa Municipal PLC expires June 2024. The current contract provides waste collection and street cleansing services to 122,624 households across both districts.
This is a great opportunity for someone with widespread waste management experience to join the team, take on an exciting challenge and leading role to help the councils design and deliver its waste and recycling services for the future.,
Waste and Recycling Project Manager Responsibilities
- lead a project team being responsible for the forward planning of the project to deliver the new waste and recycling service. Including preparing project documentation, an options appraisal and a compelling business case. Escalating risks and issues as they arise.
- independent research to assess options available to the Councils. Ensuring we model the next service to deliver the targets set out in the resources and waste strategy for England national strategy and support the climate change targets set out in the Councils corporate plans.
- managing all resources, both human and financial, to achieve project completion to recognised goals within identified constraints.
- ensuring that best value in delivery is achieved through effective management of the project.
- recognising Health and Safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the South and Vale Health and Safety policy and any service-specific procedures/rules that apply to this role.
- working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation and managing key relationships with partners and other stakeholders for example Oxfordshire Resources and Waste Partnership.
- understanding and contributing to budget planning, management and expenditure (overseeing and controlling the budget for your team, as required)
- maintaining an awareness and knowledge of new legislation and/or best practice, relevant to the project, interpreting the resulting implications and developing an options paper and specification to ensure that both councils comply with their statutory obligations, as well as to secure performance improvement and increased customer satisfaction
- designing a waste service that is future proofed for the ever-changing waste industry
Waste and Recycling Project Manager Requirements:
- significant knowledge of waste management legislation.
- excellent presentation and interpersonal skills to engage and liaise with key stakeholders seeking the views and opinions of others.
- experience of writing waste management service specifications to deliver the procurement and tendering process.
- a successful project manager who is energetic, determined to ensure the success of the Waste and Recycling project team.
- excellent data interrogation skills, via the use of Microsoft Office products
- experience of working within a political environment with detailed knowledge of a public sector setting.
- experience of successfully managing projects
- experience of public sector procurement
- interpreting contract data Assist in financial projections and operational efficiencies
Your essential qualifications:
- at least three years’ experience of working at a senior level in waste management.
- proven experience of project management, developing services including procuring and monitoring contracts.
- experience of working in local government.
If you have the following experience or qualifications, it’s a bonus:
- knowledge of the two districts.
- a relevant waste management degree and or membership of the Chartered Institute of Waste Management.
About the councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country.
Salary and grade: £55,307 to £60,428 per year, Grade 10
Duration of role: Fixed term contract for 3 Years
Hours per week: 37 hours per week
Location: 135 Milton Park, (Didcot)
Benefits: A basic 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work that our employees love! Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April. A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary. No car park costs as there’s ample free parking. A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost. Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, workplace exercise classes, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users and more). We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Closing date – 12/03/2021
Interview dates – 24-25/03/2021
You may have experience of the following: Service Delivery Manager, Operations Manager, Project Manager, Recycling, Waste Management, Public Sector, Local Government, Local Authority, Environmental Services, etc.